birdman of New England

birdman of New England
the "thermals" warmed me

Monday, July 9, 2012

Semantic, pedantic affirmations


Do people want a pat on the back?  The question has plagued man (particularly the disabled man) for decades.  Since the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) was passed in 1990 doors have flown open for me; most often pushed by the nibble fingers of a back due for a pat. 

So, it is no contest; people want a pat on the back, a shiv for their ego, a reason to smile in church.  I like to test how far people will go for that pat; that supercilious slap that keeps them in the game and puts a nickel in their pocket toward lasting fame.  I’ll purposely languish in the cold, needless shadows of buildings as a door is held for me by one of the self-righteous few.  A minute seems to be the statute of limitations for such favoring eccentricities.  The patrons will smile blandly, perhaps with irascible whips of belligerence clouding their ears, and go about their thankless day.

 I am not vindictive.   I simply don’t care to be the token disabled shill.  My advice to these disoriented bouncers is to wait for the guy in the wheelchair who really needs the assistance.  Although, I think the consensus among the disabled would be that such favors should only be offered upon their request.  They assume and, in my presence, make an ass out of themselves. 

I'm not worthy

What am I, some big rock star?  How come just because people see a man with all four limbs using a cane suddenly an entourage is born?  Am I old?  I’m not a woman; and even if I was it is no reason to hold a door open unless the person is following close enough to bite you in the ass. 

Women

Chivalry has taken somewhat of an archaic role since the 70’s (at least).  My experience has been that women frown on the assumption that they are too frail or weak or important to hold a door.  I’ll say I have held a door for a woman, or a man, but not more than 10 seconds.  It would be rude not to if they were following close or if they had a basket of kittens in their arms.  They rarely say anything though.  It could be that all the libbers are gone, perpetually marching in an ERA protest.

Ah, the pat on the back.  I guess some people need it even if it is at my integrity’s expense.  That’s the only reason I can figure.  So, there are no rulings on the time one may hold a door.  Emily Post never cared to trifle with a subject so mundane.  I say 10 seconds is the rule; but don’t stand there looking at your watch as they eye the threshold.   And if you are not followed close enough to get bit in the ass, well then, you have no social obligation to hold a door open; although you might want to hold it closed




No comments:

Post a Comment